Thursday, January 5, 2012

Christmas Surprise!!

Christmas was wonderful with my family.  Dennis spent the day with us and then in the evening Jason and Kenneth and their families came.  We had a great dinner.  I cooked a turkey that I soaked in a brine for two days and it was very moist.  I would definately do it again.  On Dec. 26th, my parents arrived at my house, much to the surprise of all of us.  Dennis was in on the surprise since he picked them up from the airport.  It was wonderful to have everyone here.  The house was full, but great to be together.  The cousins enjoyed playing together.  They played house, petshops, tied Tyler up, read stories, played with dominoes and most of the girls had a sleep over in Alyssa's room.  Heidi brought some candy so we attempted gingerbread houses.  The kids really just wanted the candy.  Mom was in her highlight holding Jason's baby, Katelyn.  Dad was able to watch a few movies.  The kids loved playing Rummicub and Skip Bo with their grandparents, and the adults loved staying up late chatting.  The next morning we wished we had gone to bed earlier. Mom and Dad were only able to stay for 4 days, but I was extremely grateful for their surprise.  I hope they do it again shortly!!  I love you Mom and Dad.












Unfortunately Kenneth got sick while he was here.  He had a check up with his oncologist before coming to Utah and his white cell counts were low, but he was unsure why.  Kenneth started coughing up blood and having lung pain so he made a visit to the ER.  He had a CAT scan done, but was told he bronchitis, was given an antibiotic and sent home.  We thought he would start feeling better, but his symptoms only got worse.  Three days later, he could hardly breathe because of the pain, had high fevers and coughing up more blood.  He went to a different ER, and found out he had pneumonia.  The doctor was concerned that he had a lesion that was causing the bleeding and Kenneth needed to have a broncoscopy done to see what was causing the bleeding.  He was taken by ambulance to LDS hospital in Salt Lake.  Gladly no lesions were found, only blood vessels that were rupturing when coughing.  The doctor did find a growth near his sternum that was a concern. He said there is a chance that it is just scar tissue, but needs his previous scan to compare.  The only sure way of knowing is a biopsy, which he'll have done when he gets back to California.  We are concerned because of his low blood count and the fact that he feels tired again.  Oh how I hope and pray that he doesn't have cancer again.  Dad gave Kenneth a beautiful priesthood blessing prior to going to the hospital and comforting words were spoken.  I wanted to hear that he is healed, but those words were not said.  I do feel peace that I know Heavenly Father is in control and can heal him if it is the Lord's will.  I hope that is the plan.  For now I have to think positively, have faith and pray.  I cherish the time that I had to spend with Kenneth and his family.  I am also grateful for my other brothers that I was able to spend time with.  I have a wonderful family and love the closeness that we share.

No comments:

Post a Comment